So, I modified several pumpkin bread recipes from the internet and the textbook Advanced Bread and Pastry by Suas and this is what I created:
15 oz. pumpkin puree (2 C.)
1 C. veggie oil
1/3 C. water
3 C. white sugar
3 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 T ground cinnamon
1 T ground nutmeg
2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp vanilla
Optional: 2 T molasses
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour (dust) three 7 x 3" loaf pans.
Mix everything together. Pour into pans. Bake for 50 minutes. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Now I found another recipe using, yummmm, butter! I may need to increase the spices a bit on the following recipe, but it looks like a keeper, too:
Ultimate Pumpkin Bread
Author: Amy Wilson
The best pumpkin bread you’ll ever taste.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter, really soft, half melted really
- 3 large eggs
- 1 16 oz can of pure pumpkin
- ½ cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and spray two medium loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, spices, salt, baking soda, and baking powder and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the wire whisk attached, dump in the sugar. Take the butter and put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds, so that it is half melted. Dump it into the sugar. Add the eggs. Cream these three ingredients together on medium speed for about 2 minutes or until fluffy. Add the pumpkin and combine well.
- In three batches, add the dry ingredients and mix gently until each batch is just incorporated. Scrape the sides between each batch.
- Pour half of the batter into a one of the prepared pans. Fold the pecans into the remaining batter and then pour it into the other prepared pan. Bake side-by-side for about one hour or until an inserted knife comes out clean the top is golden.
Yields 2 loaves. Ultimate Pumpkin Bread