Umami in a Jar: Balsamic Vinaigrette Paste

I ran out of the balsamic vinaigrette I buy at Costco and discovered at my next grocery trip that they are not stocking it at the moment. "Shoot!" It was good. I didn't want the bacon dressing they had and I am tired of ranch dressing, although Costco's is very flavorful; so, I researched a bit, took a basic vinaigrette recipe, added a tad of this and some snippets of that and I have my own balsamic vinaigrette recipe. I like it, a lot. You can leave out the anchovy paste and the oyster sauce, but it's better with it. Maybe a little Kikomann's soy sauce would be a good addition--something to increase the umami:)
Ingredients: 
8 servings
 1/2 cup olive oil
 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
 3 drops sucralose or 1 tsp. sugar/honey
 1 tsp anchovy paste
 1 tsp oyster sauce
 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or American mustard
 2 T or 4 g Romano cheese, grated (or Parmesan)
 1 T chives or onion minced
 3 clove garlic, minced
 salt and ground black pepper to taste (about 1/4 tsp salt & 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper)

Yes, it's a bit thick. I think the Romano cheese caused that.  Thin down to your tastes with olive oil and more balsamic vinegar or white vinegar.

Other umami products: miso, fish sauce, bone broth, MSG.

NOTE: Find out a little about "umami." Click here.

Comments

Popular Posts